As more and more companies continue to replace their antiquated telephone systems with ground-breaking Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) solutions, the need to maintain a high standard of security is more crucial than ever. With new technology comes potential security flaws that are commonly associated with the use of these systems. VoIP solutions, which entail lower monthly costs, compared to traditional telephone systems, are recognized for their capability to deliver superior voice quality and to facilitate access to various integrated tools on a large scale. Because VoIP promotes data transmission via the Internet, there is a possibility your system will be susceptible to malware and virus attacks. If you are looking to incorporate VoIP solutions in your existing setup, you should ensure you take the proper security precautions, so the benefits of your VoIP solution outweigh the risks and you are able to make the most out of your investment.
Here are key processes you should follow to leverage the benefits of VoIP to their full potential while minimizing the security breaches:
- Opt for Data Encryption: Cybercriminals find it harder to hack systems that are encrypted. Encryption prevents data from being interpreted easily and data that cannot be understood cannot be used to fulfil the objectives of the hackers.
- Deploy Multi-Factor Authentication: With multi-factor authentication, you can complement your passwords with stronger access validation methods. A part of this process may typically involve the use of biometric access points and security pins. You may even choose to enable the use of a text with pre-set validity to grant system-access.
- Encourage the Use of Complex Passwords: Passwords that are based on birthdays, pet’s name, or the name of your birthplace can be guessed easily. Ask your employees to select passwords that will be a combination of numbers, symbols, and lowercase and uppercase letters.
- Conduct Regular Monitoring: Cybercriminals typically prefer to spend some time examining your system to analyze your security control systems. When you monitor your system regularly, you will be able to detect unusual or malicious activities easily and prevent them from wreaking havoc on a large scale.
- Be Serious about Regular Data Backup: When you choose to back-up your data on a regular basis, you will be able to maintain business continuity even if a natural calamity or a malicious attack damages your system.
- Train your employees to help them master VoIP security: Your employees have a major role to play in ensuring the appropriate implementation of your company’s data security policies. However effective your VoIP security mechanisms may be, your system will remain vulnerable to security threats if your employees are not properly trained in the appropriate use of the security control systems that are in place. Apart from delivering training sessions, you should also explain every employee’s role in detail, describing how their individual responsibilities fit into the bigger picture. Motivate them to be extra-cautious about protecting their passwords and to notify you about malicious activities instantly.
Some companies opt for managed services to maintain VoIP security on their behalf. This allows them to focus on other critical tasks and capitalize on the latest VoIP security solutions that the managed service has to offer. If you wish to know about how you can reduce costs and improve your productivity with VoIP solutions managed services, call us at +855 577 0400 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.